It is recommended that children have their first dental visit either when their first tooth comes in or by their first birthday. If you are still looking for a children’s dentist to take your child to, you may be concerned about making the right decision. However, rest assured that the decision-making process doesn’t have to be complicated.
Here is what you can expect from a children’s dentist from childhood through adolescence:
- Oral exams and cavity risk assessments
- Repair of cavities and other tooth defects
- Assessment of normal tooth development
- Management and prevention of gum disease
- Care of knocked-out or displaced teeth
- Assessment of the need for orthodontics or correction of improper bite
Additionally, a children’s dentist should provide educational opportunities for the child AND the parent. Often these educational opportunities include:
- How diet and drinks affect heath, and demonstrations on teeth brushing and flossing
- Parent education on proper care of their children’s teeth and when to expect when their child’s adult teeth come in
- Child and teen education on proper care of teeth
- Explanation of the proper handling of knocked-out or fractured teeth
Parents should always ask their children’s dentist if they have any concerns, especially if there are genetic or health problems in their family history. Addressing these issues from childhood can help prevent more expensive and painful problems in the future.
A children’s dentist should make office visits and routine dental visits educational and fun! If you are looking for a children’s dentist, or have questions about choosing the right dentist for your child, call Amberwood Dental Centre and our professional staff will be happy to assist you!