Maybe you just moved to a new town, or your current dentist is retiring, and you are left with the responsibility of choosing a new dentist. There were things you liked about your previous dentist’s office, but maybe you are also looking for an upgrade or additional services that weren’t offered before. Here are a few things to consider when choosing the right dentist for you:
- Office hours – Does the dentist’s office have convenient hours? Do they have extended hours or will they see you during your lunch break? Choosing an office with convenient hours could be an easy deciding factor.
- Location, location, location – Do you have to drive a half hour to the office, or is it easy to get to from home or work? What about parking and getting in and out of the building? When it comes to your dentist, location is important.
- Education and Training – Where was your dentist educated and do they attend continuing education seminars? How do you know if they are up-to-date on the latest dental health news? You can always ask questions at the office to be sure your concerns are answered.
- Emergencies – Does the dentist’s office have an emergency plan if you have a dental emergency during non-office hours? Will they be the ones to respond, or will they refer you to another doctor you don’t know?
- Pricing – In today’s volatile insurance marketplace, knowing what things will cost is important. Ask before you schedule an appointment what you can expect to pay during a visit, including x-rays, dental cleanings or cavity fillings.
- Cleanliness – When you walk in, is the office clean and do the staff appear to be organized and ready to assist? If it’s important to have your teeth clean, it should also be important that the dentist’s office reflects that cleanliness.
Choosing a dentist doesn’t have to be a difficult process, but it is important to weigh your options and ask questions before making your first appointment. Ask family, friends and other local offices for recommendations. If they all recommend the same dentist, that could be the best place to start!