Dental crowns are often used to fix teeth that are decayed, discoloured, chipped, broken, or cracked. Crowns are also used to protect the strength of a tooth after a root canal is done. While you don’t need to be overly careful with your teeth if you have dental crowns, there are a few things you should do to take proper care of them:
- Take special care to reduce plaque buildup by brushing your teeth once in the morning and once at night. This will reduce plaque buildup, a process which can ultimately help you reduce cavities.
- On a daily basis, take time to floss around your crown.
- When you eat hard or sticky foods, try not to chew directly on top of your crown. This may cause damage to it that may not be able to be fixed.
- Consider purchasing an electric toothbrush in order to remove plaque from the area surrounding your crown.
- After you are done flossing and brushing, use an antibacterial mouthwash. This can help you get rid of plaque near your crown while also protecting the rest of your teeth.
Most dental crowns last anywhere from 5 to 15 years. However, if you abide by these proper care techniques, you may find that your dental crowns last even longer. If you would like to know more about taking care of your dental crowns, get in touch with us at Amberwood Dental Centre today.