When you come and see a dentist at our office in Newmarket, Ontario, we will provide you with excellent dental care. Although the dentist you see will try to cover as much about taking care of your teeth and gums as it pertains to your situation as possible, they might not be able to get to everything. For this reason, here are a few things we really want you to know:
1. Dental problems do not go away on their own– If your dentist prescribes a treatment plan, it is best to follow it exactly. For example, if you need to have a cavity filled, you should have the process taken care of as soon as possible.
2. Drink more water — When you are dehydrated, the production of the saliva that protects your teeth from cavities is reduced. This makes you more prone to tooth decay.
3. Bleeding when you brush or floss is not normal –– If any other part of your body started to bleed when you touched it, you would seek medical care. Your gums are not an exception.
4. Time your brushing — Most people do not brush their teeth for nearly long enough. For this reason, set a timer when you brush your teeth for two minutes and do not stop until it goes off.
5. A healthy mouth is important –– When you have problems with your mouth, you might experience other health-related issues. For instance, gum disease is linked to diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and other problems.